Monday, 2 December 2013

Roast Beetroot, Squash, Feta, Lentil & Cranberry Salad

I'm recovering today from a bit of an indulgent weekend, I went out for my friend's hen party in London on Saturday and yesterday was spent feeling slightly worse for wear. Tonight I felt the need to eat something a bit healthier so decided to make a wintery salad using fresh cranberries in the dressing. My boyfriend is out with his friends this evening and I knew he'd pull a face at salad in the winter so this was my little treat. I didn't think to take a photo of the salad on the plate before I started munching so I only have a photo of the second portion in a tupperware which I'll be taking into uni tomorrow for lunch. I hadn't originally planned on blogging this but it tasted so good and was very easy to make so I feel like sharing. Plus this also means another cranberry recipe to add to my collection! The quantities are all approximate as I don't really bother weighing or measuring anything when I'm cooking something simple like this.


Serves 2 

Ingredients:
1 medium raw beetroot, scrubbed clean and cut into 8-10 pieces
top part of a medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into 10-12 pieces
4-6 shallots peeled
olive oil 
8 dessert spoonfuls tinned green lentils - I'll use the rest of the tin in a curry tomorrow evening
2 large handfuls mixed salad leaves
1 large handful chopped radicchio
approx 50g feta cheese cut into small pieces
2 large handfuls fresh cranberries
1 heaped dessert spoonful soft dark brown sugar
approx 100ml water
red wine vinegar
extra virgin olive oil 
salt & freshly ground black pepper
  • Preheat the oven to 210C. Place the beetroot, squash and shallots in an ovenproof dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes or until tender. 
  • Put the cranberries in a small pan with the water and sugar, bring to the boil and simmer until the cranberries pop and you get a runny jam consistency. Add a splash of red wine vinegar and cook for a minute or 2 longer then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly then stir through a dessert spoonful of extra virgin olive oil. The cranberry dressing will look like a slightly runnier version of cranberry sauce. 
  • Arrange the salad leaves and raddichio on plates, spoon over the lentils and scatter over the feta. Divide the roasted vegetables between the plates and dot the cranberry dressing over the top. 
As this is quite healthy and festive I'm linking it up with the Feel Good Food challenge run by Victoria and this hosted by Ness where the theme this month is cranberries. I'm also adding this to my fresh cranberry recipe link up




3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous winter salad Jen. Fantastic colours to brighten any grey December lunchtime. Thanks for linking up with Feel Good Food this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling good just looking at this Jen, and what a perfectly festive treat without the bloaty feeling afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious. I'm feeling both poorly (I have a horrible cold) and sluggish after overindulging ALOT this Christmas and New Year. I'd love someone to make this for me right now :) hope you're having a very happy new year! Em x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)