Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Poppy Seed & Lemon Cake To Use Up Lots Of Egg Yolks

After I made my somewhat disappointing angel food cake I ended up with 8 egg yolks, fortunately I had done my research and found a cake that would use up every single one of them at once. The recipe for this cake is from Smitten Kitchen and it is in cups but as it's quite an easy one to measure out I didn't bother converting the ingredients into grams, so head over to the site to see it in full. Plus I'm not sure how often I'm going to end up with 8 egg yolks all at once again as I know I won't bake another angel food cake.

I didn't just stumble across this recipe, first of all I found this site after a very quick google search and it lists recipes using varying quantities of egg yolks from 1 all the way up to 12 yolks. A very useful site to have in your bookmarks folder for the next time you bake meringues, macarons or anything else that leaves you with spare yolks.


On to the cake, it was beautifully simple to make and baked perfectly, this time I was very glad to have baked in silicone. The cake did stick a tiny bit despite some light greasing but after turning it out I was able to scrape the thin layer of cake that had stuck to the pan and nibble on it as a baker's treat whilst the cake cooled. I am a firm believer in baker's treats and chef's nibbles, after all quality control is an important stage.

To make the cake I whisked the 8 egg yolks plus an extra whole egg with 2/3 cup of caster sugar until very light and fluffy followed by the zest of 2 lemons. Next I folded in 1/2 cup of plain flour and 1/2 a cup of cornflour along with a pinch of salt. This is the first time I've ever used cornflour in a cake and the result was a very light sponge but unlike the angel food cake, this had a much nicer texture, light but still with substance. Finally I beat in 1/2 lb of melted butter and 1/2 cup of poppy seeds, these give the cake the densely speckled appearance that is so pretty. The cake was then baked in a large silicone ring mould covered with a piece of greaseproof paper to prevent burning and it took around 45 minutes at 160C.


I was very impressed with this cake, the lemon flavour wasn't too strong which meant that my boyfriend enjoyed it too, he's not the biggest fan of lemon cakes. I also liked the fact that this cake didn't need any extra embellishment to be enjoyed, it was perfect just by itself. Due to the shape it's also very easy to cut off sneaky slivers as the cake slices well without crumbling. I found that it kept well too so it would be a good cake to make in advance.

Whilst I would never have wasted the yolks if I hadn't found this recipe I'm still going to link this up with the No Waste Food Challenge this month hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.


7 comments:

  1. Ooo, this looks good. And I will definitely remember that about quality control the next time I have chef's perks. Quality control when trying out chocolate ingredients is even more important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, after all you wouldn't want to serve friends and family inferior cakes etc so every stage must be tested :)

      Delete
  2. Looks scrummy (and it sounds like a great No Waste Food Challenge entry!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will link up now! If I hadn't found this recipe I would never have made the angel food cake, the liquid egg whites were too expensive but this way I got 2 cakes :)

      Delete
  3. it looks so good and a great way to use up unwanted ingredients... I love poppyseeds in cake, they add a certain sophistication don't you think x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about baker's treats! This looks like a great way to use up the yolks, and the site is a great tip. I went out of my way to find Two Chicks egg whites for my angel cake, so this is a handy alternative to know, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. cake looks so tender and golden with all those egg yolks going in,we love lemon poppy seed cakes and we are sure going to try this yummy recipe soon,thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!