Thursday, 20 June 2013

Vegan Mint Chocolate Mousse

This recipe is an idea that has been floating around in my mind for ages and I've kept meaning to try it. As the We Should Cocoa challenge this month is mint it's finally spurred me on to making it. Like many people I love chocolate mousse and I remember making quite a good one years ago at school. Unlike the traditional recipes this mousse contains absolutely no dairy products or eggs. Instead, to provide the creamy texture I have used avocado and to sweeten the dark chocolate I've used maple syrup which means this is a vegan friendly recipe. Although avocados are more commonly seen in savoury dishes they work well in sweet dishes and baking too. Whilst they may be considered fatty, unlike the masses of cream in a traditional mousse, avocado is giving you the benefits of good fats and also vitamin E which is good for your skin. For the mint flavouring I used a generous handful of fresh mint as it gives a more delicate flavour, I find that mint extract can be a bit overpowering sometimes.


Ingredients - serves 2

100g dark chocolate,  85% cocoa solids
large handful fresh mint leaves, roughly torn (approx 15-20g)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 ripe avocado
handful of fresh strawberries
  • Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, break in the chocolate and add the mint leaves. Stir occasionally with a spatula until the chocolate has all melted and the mint leaves are completely covered in chocolate. 
  • With the bowl still over the heat add the maple syrup and stir well to combine. 
  • Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the avocado flesh then use a stick blender to blend the avocado into the chocolate and mint until completely smooth and creamy
  • Spoon into serving bowls and top with a few sliced strawberries



I've just eaten this mousse and it is so rich and chocolatey with a mellow minty flavour, the avocado makes it unctuous and creamy. I could quite easily eat more of this.

I'm entering my mousse into We Should Cocoa run by Choclette and Chele, this month hosted by Victoria, also into Made With Love Mondays and Cooking With Herbs.

  Herbs on Saturday for June: Cooking with Herbs Challenge - Win a Pot of Culinary Lavender Grains


6 comments:

  1. This also makes a great topping for cakes instead of buttercream and as you say so much healthier. I could do with a bowl right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a brilliant idea, thanks Angela :)

      Delete
  2. I recently used avocado for a mint frosting for a chocolate cake, and I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor. This mousse sounds delicious and I love how simple it is. Just a handful of ingredients - couldn't be simpler...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinned it - thanks!

    xXx

    http://ohsogawjess.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a chocolate avocado mousse last month and was surprised at how tasty it was. I love the addition of mint here - so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea for a vegan dessert and such a tasty one too! Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!