Saturday, 15 June 2013

Speculoos Shortbread

There seems to have been a lot of hype surrounding speculoos on my Twitter feed lately especially since some supermarkets are now stocking the Lotus brand spread. My local supermarket doesn't stock it although apparently others nearby do. However this requires going out of my way to get to them so I haven't bothered yet. Instead I have made my own speculoos spice mix from a recipe in a book I picked up in a fantastic kitchenware shop on my recent trip to France, I could have spent a fortune in that shop if I had more money. The book is called 'Petits Plats et Dessert aux Spéculoos' and I have seen it for sale on Amazon if you fancy putting your French to the test. My knowledge of French is very limited, I can read a menu and know the names of most foods but not much more than that. Fortunately Mum translated a few of the key instructions for me and as I've read so many recipes in the past I think I can bluff my way through the rest of it. Of course there is also the translating power of the interwebs to help if I get really stuck.



The speculoos spice mix is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, white pepper, cardamom and star anise. I've seen a couple of other recipes and the one thing they have in common is that cinnamon is the dominant spice whilst the other spices can be adjusted to suit personal tastes. There are range of savoury and sweet dishes in the book using the spice mix, I've tried one recipe for a savoury carrot and parsnip crumble, using crushed speculoos biscuits, and it worked really well although I forgot to take photos. I've also made the biscuits although I didn't think they were quite spicy enough so I used a higher proportion of spice mix for this shortbread recipe. I do like the fact that dark brown sugar is used in both the original recipe and my adaptation as I think it makes the biscuits taste more indulgent as the sugar adds an extra depth of flavour. I have to confesss that I am now completely hooked on this combination of spices and it will probably be appearing in a few recipes in the future. I've already experimented by trying it in chocolate cake and fruit cake with good results, again no photos as they've been eaten too quickly. They are both recipes that will be tweaked before ending up on here at some point though. I'm also going try out some more of the savoury recipes from the book including poulet farci en cocotte quetsches et spéculoos roughly translated as stuffed chicken casserole with plums and speculoos, saumon poché au lait créme de spéculoos salmon poached in milk with speculoos cream, and papillote de cabillaud beurre de spéculoos aux cranberries cod cooked in paper with cranberry speculoos butter. It might take me a while to get round to making these but I will report back on my efforts eventually.

For the spice mix I adapted the quantities slightly as the French convention is to measure ingredients using coffee spoons and soup spoons, both of which are slightly smaller than UK teaspoon and tablespoon measures. I've used the standard 5ml teaspoon and 15ml tablespoon measures here so the spices are still in the same proportions. This recipe will yield just under 4 tablespoons of the spice mix. If you have trouble finding some of the spices in the shops they can be bought online, I quite often buy spices via various merchants on ebay, usually whoever has the best price and the cheapest postage.

Speculoos spice mix

2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground star anise

Mix all the spices together in a bowl, enjoy the heady aroma and then pour into a clean glass jar.

Speculoos shortbread - makes 12 + depending on cutter size, I used a medium size butterfly cutter.

150g plain flour
100g butter
50g soft dark brown sugar
2 tsp speculoos spice mix

Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray. Put all of the ingredients in a food processor on medium speed and process until clumps of dough start to form. Turn off the machine and bring the rest of the dough together by hand. Roll out on a lightly floured work surface to around 5mm thick and use cookie cutters in any shape you like to cut out biscuits and transfer them to the tray, they will be fragile so take care when handling. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden, leave to rest on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.



I'm entering these into Made With Love Mondays and also into The Spice Trail challenge where the chosen spice is cinnamon.





17 comments:

  1. Yummy, I bet these taste extra good as you mixed the spices yourself, well done great recipe:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they did, best thing is that if you're not keen on one spice you can tweak the quantities to make the perfect spiced biscuits to match your tastes :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing recipe Jen, and so fantastic that you made your own spice mix - this is really good to know for the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is currently my favourite book and I'm so glad I have constant supply of spicy goodness to play with :)

      Delete
  3. I had this on my shopping list for next week but will probably make my own now - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you already have the spices in the cupboard then it's free to make :)

      Delete
  4. oh thank you for that, I would never have thought of making up my own spice mix for this. Am pinning, if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, share the speculoos love :)

      Delete
  5. I love this idea of baking your own speculoos shortbread cookies! I'm such of fan of the flavor and I could eat the Lotus version by the sleeve ;) Delicious spice mix and so simple to make...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear I could become addicted to this stuff soon especially as I'm now only minutes away from a fresh batch of biscuits!

      Delete
  6. This is fascinating. Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, there is SUCH A LOT of love for Speculoos out there, I'm surprised that this post hasn't already gone viral! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE speculoos! There is something magical that happens when you combine all those spices together..... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great to have the ingredients list for that elusive much-loved speculoos taste! I'm heading off to the kitchen now... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you made these yourself, I would definitely have resorted to the lazy option!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to have the ingredients for the speculoos spice mix. You never know when that might come in handy. I also have one or two French cookbooks, although my French is very limited. I just thought by myself: How hard can it be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love speculoos and really look forward to trying out your recipe. An absolutely perfect entry for December's Spice Trail - thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!