Sunday, 9 June 2013

Smoked Salmon, Courgette (Zucchini) & Dill Pasta

I've been following the Recipes for Life challenge for the past few months and kept meaning to take part, but you know how it is, sometimes even if you've made a dish for a blog challenge, life gets in the way before you have chance to write it up. This month though I've made the effort to take part and for me it couldn't have been easier as the chosen ingredients are salmon, courgette and pasta. This is a combination that I enjoy cooking on a fairly regular basis as it's quick and requires minimal preparation. I've used value brand smoked salmon trimmings here as I am by no means a connoisseur, my student funding won't let me push the boat out that far, besides when it's all mixed in with everything else it doesn't really matter. I've used full fat crème fraîche here for the sauce but you could substitute with the low fat version if you want to be a bit healthier. I don't add any salt apart from to the pasta water as I find that smoked salmon is salty enough by itself.



Ingredients - serves 2

150g pasta - I used wholewheat fusili
1 medium courgette (zucchini), diced
120g pack smoked salmon trimmings
100g crème fraîche
squeeze of lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
black pepper
oil for frying

  • Cook the pasta in salted water according to packet instructions
  • Fry the courgette in a little oil over a medium heat until lightly coloured on both sides then remove from the heat
  • Drain the pasta then return the pan and add the crème fraîche, courgettes and smoked salmon and mix well over a low heat. Season to taste with lemon juice and black pepper then stir through the dill and serve. 
I'm entering this into Recipes For Life, Made With Love Mondays, Credit Crunch Munch run by Helen and Camilla, this month hosted by Anneli at Delicieux, Cooking With Herbs and Simple & In Season.  


recipes for lifeCredit Crunch Munch logo Simple and in Season
 Herbs on Saturday for June: Cooking with Herbs Challenge - Win a Pot of Culinary Lavender Grains

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like proper comfort food. I was planning on making something similar (using Philadelphia) but my partner came home with fresh salmon and not smoked like I asked him to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical! Fresh salmon is very nice, however this is definitely one of my favourite standby dishes when I need something quick and tasty after a long day.

      Delete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious Jen, just my kind of dish! Love courgettes with salmon and dill goes really well too! Thanks for entering Credit Crunch Munch with this tasty supper:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of smoked salmon, Jen! But I almost never eat it because I always think of it as something to go with bagels with cream cheese ;) But this sounds so tasty, easy to make and relatively healthful... Love it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well smoked salmon does go very well with cream cheese, would probably work well here too instead of the creme fraiche

      Delete
  4. Looks fantastic and such a perfect dish for the Recipes for Life challenge - easy to make, healthy and the ingredients don't cost a bomb either. Looks like a strong contender for the June title to me! Thanks so much for taking part - finally! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your new look over here Jen, and I am also LOVING this stunning little recipe too, salmon and I are JUST the best of friends!! Thanks so much for your entry, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great supper dish. Love salmon, love courgettes, love dill. So this one is just perfect for me. This has lots of very fine ingredients but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg - perfect for Credit Crunch Munch :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)