Monday, 10 June 2013

Individual Strawberry Tarts

It's June so that means it's time for strawberries and cream or even strawberries and crème patissière encased in sweet vanilla scented pastry. This was my first time making crème patissière and fortunately it thickened beautifully, there is cornflour in this recipe which helps to stabilise the custard. The pastry is quite short for this recipe so don't be disappointed if it's a bit crumbly when you roll it out, if it feels too dry just add a tiny splash more water. I ended up having to patch my tart cases to fill a few gaps, then again every time I make pastry no matter how I make it, I always end up having to fill a few holes. Perhaps I'm a bit too heavy handed, once the pastry case is filled though you can't really tell. This got the thumbs up and big cheesy 'mmm' smile from the boyfriend so I think I'll be making these again this summer. 




I asked a question on Twitter the other day about using baking beans for blind baking pastry, I've never tried them and was wondering whether people think they make a difference or not. I've been using the same dried lentils for a few years now but they still seem to do the job. The consensus seemed to be that if you can afford to splash out then they are a good buy but lentils or rice etc still works just as well. Maybe I'll treat myself to some one day.

Ingredients - makes 2, easily doubled

For the pastry:
50g plain flour
25g cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 tsp vanilla sugar or caster sugar
1 tsp cold water

For the filling:
1 egg yolk
25g vanilla sugar or caster sugar and a couple of drops of vanilla extract
2 tsp cornflour
110ml milk
100g strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp red jam for glazing e.g. strawberry or raspberry jam
  • Make the pastry by rubbing the butter into the flour until you get a breadcrumb texture, stir through the sugar and then add the water and bring together into a firm dough. Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll each piece out on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick and use to line 2 x 9cm diameter (measured across the base) tart tins, leave a little pastry overhanging the edge of the tin to allow for shrinkage in the oven. Rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.


  • Preheat the oven to 200C and remove the tart cases from the fridge, line with foil and fill the cases with baking beans and bake for 10 minutes, remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack, leave the cases until cold before unmoulding and trimming any excess pastry from the edges. 
 
  • Make the crème patissière by whisking together the egg yolk, sugar and cornflour. Heat the milk in a small pan until just simmering then pour into the egg mix and whisk to combine, return to the hob over a low heat and stir until the crème patissière begins to thicken, it needs to be like custard. Allow to cool slightly before using to fill the tart cases. Leave the filled tart cases to set in the fridge for at least an hour. Top with the strawberries when you're ready to serve, gently heat the jam and brush over the strawberries to add an attractive glaze to the fruit.


I have a really quick recipe to use up the leftover egg white in these coconut and cardamom macaroons.

I'm entering this into Classic French where I've challenged you to make French fruit tarts and also into Simple and in Season and Made With Love Mondays



Simple and in Season



14 comments:

  1. Strawberry tarts with cream are so amazing - I don't think there is a better way to celebrate summer! It's been too long since I've enjoyed this kind of tasty treat and I love how simple this is to make... And I've personally never used baking beans, but always used another fill like oats...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea using oats, not heard of that one before.

      Delete
  2. They look adorable although I'm not a huge fan of the creme patisserie I could be persuaded to woolf these down! I was given my baking beans and I swear by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to say I don't normally like cold custard in a trifle so wasn't entirely sure I'd like the creme pat but it ended up being delicious. Dare you to have a go ;)

      Delete
  3. They look delicious! I recently made the jump from using rice to actual baking beans - I'm not sure there's a great deal of difference, if I'm honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your strawberry tarts look the business. Strawberry tarts are a real problem for me - I can't say no to them. Which is something of a problem in season...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) This is why I only made 2 little ones, otherwise with a big tart we would've felt obliged to finish it!

      Delete
  5. Oh, yum! I love a good strawberry tart, but never been brave enough to try it. Maybe I should just give it a go! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not too tricky so why not go for it? Even if the pastry breaks a little it will still taste amazing :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, ooh ooh, yes please Jen. They look so delicious. I wanted to have a go at making some for your challenge, but I don't think I'm going to have the time - again! You never know though ....... as I type, I'm having an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I hope you get chance to join in, not had many entries so far and your bakes always look fab!

      Delete
  7. These look perfect- they're my favourite kind of tarts, I don't really like strawberries and cream but I love them with crème patissière and your short, crumbly pastry sounds just right! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!