Saturday, 8 June 2013

Chocolate Grissini

This is the second bread based bake that I baked on World Baking Day, not such a big challenge as the Chelsea Buns but great fun to make. The recipe for these is from the Gü Chocolate Cookbook and they remind me of a chunkier version of Mikado biscuits, those very thin crispy sticks dipped in chocolate. These grissini are made with a sweet bread dough and then brushed with melted chocolate after baking. I decided to have a bit of fun with these and used a selection of sprinkles to decorate instead of the chopped nuts suggested in the recipe. I did find a nearly empty packet of chopped nuts in the cupboard so a few of the dark chocolate grissini had some nuts. The recipe for these makes a lot, according to the book you can easily make 100 of these. I didn't count them but I think I ended up with around 50-60 grissini as I wasn't so careful about cutting the dough to the correct thickness. I took some of them into the office as there were so many and the boys seemed quite impressed by the silver sprinkles!



The method for making these is different to anything I've come across before as the dough is quite wet and isn't really kneaded before being left in the fridge for an hour. It seemed to work quite well although I did have to add quite a bit of flour to the worktop to stop it from sticking when rolling out. I did make a couple of tweaks to the original recipe, I left out the orange zest as I absolutely cannot stand the taste or smell of oranges (sorry orange lovers but you'll never see oranges in a recipe on this blog) and I ended up using more chocolate.

Ingredients - makes lots! (Adapted from the Gü Chocolate Cookbook)

75ml lukwarm water
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp honey
7g sachet fast action yeast
100g strong white bread flour
75g plain flour
2 tbsp icing sugar
pinch of salt
25g unsalted butter, melted
150g chocolate , I used half white and half dark but choose your favourite
a selection of sugar sprinkles or 50g chopped nuts

  • Gently heat the milk in a small pan until lukewarm and then stir in the honey, remove from the heat and sprinkle over the yeast and leave for 5 minutes.
  • In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar and salt, make a well in the centre and pour in the butter along with the water and yeast mixture. Work everything together into a soft dough using your fingers, cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.
  • Preheat the oven to 180C and remove the dough from the fridge and knead for a minute until smooth. Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll one piece out on a lightly floured worktop to a rectangle 36 x 16cm and about 4mm thick. Cut into strips 5mm wide and roll them so they look like thin sausages, this is a bit fiddly as the pieces are so small. Repeat with the other piece of dough. Transfer the grissini to a non stick baking tray and leave a little gap between each one, it helps here if you have at least 3 trays and you will probably have to bake in batches. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown then cool on a wire rack. 
  • When the grissini are cold melt the chocolate in a bain marie and use a pastry brush to coat the grissini, leave about 1/4 of the length uncovered, and then sprinkle with sugar sprinkles or chopped nuts and leave to set on a piece of greaseproof paper. 


I'm going to link these up with the Four Seasons Food picnic challenge as these are great for nibbling on.

I'm also linking this post up with the foodie gifts for Christmas challenge as I think a handful of these beautifully wrapped would make an excellent gift for a friend.


Four Seasons Food
Four Seasons Food hosted by Delicieux and Chezfoti

10 comments:

  1. Ooh these look absolutely delish! Bread and chocolate what an absolute winner! Well done Jen:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glam! I'm sure lots of little girls would love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're like chocolate breadsticks! That's the best idea EVER!

      Delete
  3. These look like a lot of fun! And they look yummy too! I have been considering the GU book, but wasn't sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so much fun! My kids would love them (and me too!) Perfect for a picnic indeed or as portable car treats to keep little ones quiet :) Thanks for this great entry to Four Seasons Food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made Grissini, your choccie one's look utterly fab and so pretty! My kids would LOVE making and eating these and shall be bookmarking for a rainy day! Thanks so much for entering them to Four Seasons Food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing Jen - well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!