Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Knackerbröd

Hello everyone, it seems like I've been away for a long time. I was at an international science conference in Vienna last week and gave my first ever conference presentation which was a bit nerve racking but I think it went quite well. I had to wait all week until the Friday afternoon before my presentation but instead of spending the week stressing beforehand I managed to do a bit of sight seeing and took some photos of fancy cakes in the windows of a couple of cafes which I've shared here on my Facebook page if you fancy having a look. And of course I went to see lots of other interesting presentations, there was so much science around me that I ended up coming back feeling quite tired. But I also feel like I learnt a lot and it was good to talk to other scientists working on similar topics to me.



Anyway enough of my rambling. I baked my knackerbröd for the Fresh From The Oven challenge a few days before I went away and I'm very pleased to say that they keep very well. I stored mine in a large metal cake tin and they were still just as crisp over a week after baking as they were on the day they were made. This is very good to know because the recipe does make quite large crispbreads, I can happily polish off two in one sitting, but less greedy types may only want one or even half at a time. I had a bit of trouble finding the right ingredients to make the knackerbröd and I almost thought I had set myself an impossible challenge. After traipsing around 3 shops I ended up finding rye flour in Holland & Barret as neither of the large supermarkets near me sold it although I did discover my local Sainbury's sells spelt flour and pasta flour which is good for future reference. I couldn't find the wheat bran though so ended up using oat bran bought from Tesco instead. This gave the knackerbröd a taste similar to oatcakes which I quite liked.




The knackerbröd were very easy to make, the only time consuming bit was the baking as I only have one shelf in my oven and could only fit one on a baking tray at a time. Kneading the dough does take a bit more effort than regular bread dough as it is very firm and quite stiff, definitely one for a day when you fancy an upper body workout! I found that rolling the dough out on a piece of clingfilm and then transferring to a baking tray lined with a silicone mat avoided the need to add lots of flour to the work surface to prevent it sticking. I would also recommend covering the dough whilst waiting for the breads to bake. I divided my dough into 8 pieces and rolled them out one at a time as my worktop is small. But I left it uncovered and by the time I rolled out the final piece it was starting to dry out a bit, and didn't end up as round as the first one as it kept breaking up. I also ended up baking the pieces of dough cut out of the middle of each bread, perfect for nibbling on whilst baking the rest.



If you like the sound of these then why not join in with the challenge this month. I've already linked to the recipe above and the round up of all the entries will be hosted by Michelle of Utterly Scrummy Food For Families in early May.

I'm also going to link these up to Made With Love Mondays, Bake Your Own Bread and Yeastspotting.


3 comments:

  1. What a unique bread, Jen - I've never heard of Knackerbrod before, but I'm intrigued by the texture and shape... Very cool and sounds tasty. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried this bread before, it's very unique. I'm glad to hear your conference went well. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was browsing through one of my bread cookbooks a few days ago and noticed this kind of bread. now after seeing yours i'm even more intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)