Sunday, 21 April 2013

Chamomile Mini Madeleines

As a food blogger I sometimes get sent the occasional new product to try. Recently, Lakeland very kindly sent me a 24 hole silicone mini madeleine mould. I'd already decided that the theme for this month's Classic French challenge was going to be madeleines as I have a mould to make normal size madeleines, but this gave me the perfect excuse to come up some bite size treats. The mould is made from flexible purple silicone and is freezer, microwave and dishwasher safe. The packaging info advised greasing the moulds with a little butter before use so I dutifully followed instructions. Not all silicone products advise this as it is often assumed that things will just pop straight out after baking. However I have found in the past that it is generally OK to avoid greasing simple silicone cake tins but anything with a detailed design needs a light greasing just to be on the safe side. Fortunately every single one of my mini madeleines came out without any trouble and the mould was very easy to clean afterwards.

madeleines



For the madeleines I decided that I wanted to continue with a bit of a floral theme that I've been exploring through some of my bakes over the past year. I've already baked lavender madeleines, a rose flavoured Victoria sponge and hibiscus cupcakes (incidentally my most popular post ever!). So it was time to try a new flower. I used a chamomile teabag in this recipe to provide a subtle flavour. I've read a recipe in Harry Eastwood's Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache book several times for courgette and chamomile cupcakes but I've never actually made them. So I figured it was time to see how well one of my favourite drinks works in cake form. For the madeleines I reduced the quantities from a recipe originally published in Baked & Delicious magazine issue 9. I made the original recipe before I started blogging and before I owned an electric whisk. It took a very long time to get the eggs and sugar to the 'ribbon' stage required for a genoise sponge so having an electric whisk does make life a lot easier!

Ingredients - makes 30 mini madeleines or 12-15 normal size

30g unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus a little extra for greasing
30g caster sugar
1 large egg
30g self raising flour - really it should be plain flour for a genoise but this was all I had in the cupboard
1 level tsp cornflour
1 chamomile tea bag
icing sugar for dusting

  • Preheat the oven to 190C and lightly grease the madeleine mould
  • Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and add the egg and the sugar. Whisk using an electric handheld mixer for about 5 minutes until the mixture has tripled in volume and leaves a ribbon trail when the beaters are lifted. 
  • Open the chamomile tea bag and sift this into the egg mixture along with the flour and cornflour. Gently fold to combine and then trickle in the melted butter down the side of the bowl. Continue folding gently until everything is incorporated. 
  • Divide between the holes in the mould using a teaspoon, you will need to bake in batches and then bake for 5-8 minutes until just turning golden at the edges. If your oven is particularly fierce check them after 3-4 minutes.
  • Sit the mould on a wire rack until cool enough to handle then pop the madeleines out.
  • Cool on a wire rack then dust with icing sugar and arrange on a pretty serving plate. 

These would be perfect for afternoon tea in the garden now that the sun is starting to come back and warmer days are on their way.

I'm entering these into Classic French.


Disclaimer: I was sent the madeleine mould from Lakeland to review. I was not required to write a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.

6 comments:

  1. Mini madeleines are so cute! Love the flavour combination too and I had to look at your hibiscus cakes too - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding dried camomile sounds so interesting Jen, I'd assumed you were going to make a tea out of it. What was the actual texture and flavour like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried the tea method before with hibiscus and lavender but wanted to have a go at using the dried flowers in the batter this time. The texture was light and the taste is quite subtle which is what I was aiming for. I suppose making a very strong tea to add to the batter would give a stronger chamomile taste.

      Delete
  3. These are adorable!!! Love the idea of tea in them too :) very delicate and dainty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh lucky you with your lovely madelines moulds. They have turned out really nice x

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful. where do you find recipes that use flowers? also, I love the 2-tier dessert trays... where did you find that/who makes that? I'd love it for my home too here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!