The Easter Treats Kit is great idea if you want to do some baking with the kids over the Easter weekend. Or if like us you don't have children it's just a good excuse to make some cute little cakes. The kit contains 24 mini cupcake cases, 2 egg boxes with gift tags for presenting the cakes in and 12 adorable little card chick cupcake toppers.
Ingredients - makes 24 mini cupcakes or 12 regular cupcakes
For the cakes:
2 tbsp brandy - you could use orange or apple juice if baking for kids or non drinkers
115g fine demerara sugar
115g self raising flour
3/4 tsp mixed spice
For the buttercream:
300g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soak the sultanas in the brandy or fruit juice for at least an hour
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line 2 bun tins with paper cases.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs one at a time then fold in the flour and mixed spice. Finally stir through the sultanas and any leftover brandy/juice. Divide the cake mix between the paper cases filling each one about halfway. Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen, golden and the sponge bounces back when lightly pressed.
- Cool the cakes on a wire rack and leave until completely cold.
- For the buttercream beat the butter until light and fluffy then add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat until smooth. It's easiest to do this with an electric hand whisk and adding the icing sugar gradually.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large start nozzle and pipe swirls onto the cupcakes then finish with a chick topper. Regular readers will know that I am not a confident user of a piping bag but I held my nerve and gave it a go and I think I might be showing signs of improvement.
I also couldn't resist putting the chick topped cakes on the pretty floral cake stand my friend bought me for Christmas. If you look at this you can pretend that Spring is here. For my non UK readers we are experiencing one of the coldest March's in the last 50 years and a lot of people just want the sun to shine again!
Disclaimer: I was sent the Easter Treats Kit from Lakeland to review, I was not paid for this post. All views and opinions expressed are my own.