Breakfast For Dinner or 'brinner' as it's sometimes referred to is the concept of the new cookbook by Lindsay Landis and Taylor Hackbarth. The idea is very simple, the foods we eat for breakfast are so good why can't we eat them for dinner instead? As you might expect this book includes a fair few recipes with bacon, eggs and maple syrup, it is an American book after all. The book is divided into Mains, Sides & Starters, Drinks & Desserts, there is also a handy metric conversion chart for those like me who are not a fan of measuring in cups. For main courses there are recipes such as Huevos Rancheros Tacos, Shaksuka, Breakfast Sausage Ravioli, Steak & Eggs Benedict and Grapefruit Risotto With Seared Scallops. For some of these recipes the breakfast inspiration is quite obvious, with others it is a more subtle nod to the first meal of the day such as the risotto. The sides and starters include Maple Glazed Pork Meatballs, Espresso Baked Beans (I've bookmarked these two recipes to serve together at some point) and a recipe for Bacon Jam which I've seen around but haven't tried yet. Also there are Scrambled Egg & Salmon Quesadillas which I made for dinner for myself last night and served with a simple salad, it was my first quesadilla and it was delicious. The filling was made with smoked salmon, leeks and creme fraiche all cooked into scrambled eggs topped with grated cheese and sandwiched between two flour tortillas. This is something I'll definitely be making again.
After all the savoury dishes there are a good selection of desserts including Maple Bacon Cupcakes complete with a recipe for caramelizing bacon. I made the cupcakes and had the bacon in the oven and it smelt absolutely amazing but I got distracted briefly and ended up with bacon flavoured charcoal instead. Purely my own fault and I was really annoyed with myself but accidents happen sometimes. Hence the lack of bacony sprinkles on my attempt at the cupcakes but they still tasted good and had a very generous topping of chocolate icing. I wasn't feeling brave enough to pipe this time though so I used a palette knife instead which is why they look a little scruffy. Next time I buy a packet of streaky bacon I'll give the caramelization another go. Other recipes in this chapter include Frozen Sunrise Margaritas, Banana Bread Bundt Cake and Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes.
The book is published by Quirk Books and is available to buy in the UK from 19th March from all the usual book selling websites and the RRP is £12.99.
For your chance to win a copy of the book simply fill out the Rafflecopter form below. If you haven't used Rafflecopter before there is very quick video guide here.
- Entry is via mandatory comment on this blog post, all other entry methods are optional and will give you extra chances to win
- There is one prize available of a copy of Breakfast For Dinner
- The giveaway is open to UK & Ireland residents only
- The closing date is Monday 25th March
- The winner will be contacted via email by Blue Kitchen Bakes and the prize will be sent directly to you from the publishers
- The winner will be chosen via the Rafflecopter random number generator
- NB. The blog comment is mandatory for entry to the giveaway. If you click enter on the rafflecopter form without leaving a comment then your entry will not be counted. All other forms of entry via Twitter and Facebook will also be validated so if you say you've tweeted, liked or followed without doing it then your entry won't count.
a Rafflecopter giveaway