Saturday, 2 February 2013

Vegetable Cobbler With Chestnut & Sage Scones


Vegetable cobbler is a dish that I remember aways enjoying whenever Mum used to make it for us, I think I would specifically ask for it sometimes even though my brothers were never that keen on it. She always used to make hers with a white sauce and cheesy scones. However as my boyfriend doesn't eat cheese and I had a tin of chestnut puree in the cupboard I decided to have a go at using it in some savoury scones. I bought too much chestnut puree when I made my chestnut cookies at the end of last year, the original recipe was in cups and I was doubling the quantities to make enough for the food blogger cookie swap. I thought it would be best to buy an extra tin just in case, I also didn't bother to work out the conversion from cups to grams before I went shopping. This cobbler is easy to make and the vegetables are cooked in stock instead of a white sauce to make it a bit lighter. I made this a few weeks ago and it was at a point where I fancied a change from all the rich food that we had been eating during the festive season.



Ingredients

For the scones - makes about 20

415g tin of unsweetened chestnut puree
450g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 heaped tbsp chopped fresh sage
120ml milk
freshly ground black pepper

For the cobbler filling - serves 5-6

2-3 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped and seeds removed if you prefer less heat
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
1/2 small swede, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
1/2 large celeriac, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
500ml vegetable stock

  1. Make the filling for the cobbler first and preheat the oven to 220C. Start by sweating the onions, chilli and garlic in a large pan over a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are softened but not coloured. Add the vegetables and cook for a few minutes then add the stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
  2. Whilst the filling is cooking make the scones. Add all the ingredients except the milk to a large bowl and start working together with a round bladed knife. Gradually pour in the milk (you might not need all of it depending on your flour) and continue mixing the dough. Use your hands to bring it all together and turn out onto a lightly floured work top.
  3. Press or lightly roll the scone dough out until it is about 5cm thick and use a 7cm fluted cutter to cut out the scones.
  4. Transfer the filling to a large baking dish and arrange the scones on top and brush with a little milk, you won't be able to fit them all on. Bake the cobbler for 15-20 minutes until the scones are risen and lightly golden then serve with green vegetables if you like.
  5. Bake the remaining scones on a non stick tray for about 15 minutes then cool on a wire rack.


The leftover scones work really well for a snack with a slice of chorizo and a piece of manchego cheese, didn't manage to get a photo of that though as it was too delicious!  

I'm entering this into Simple and in Season this month hosted by Cake Crumbs & Cooking.
I'm also adding this into Herbs On Saturday.


8 comments:

  1. Ooh I do love a cobbler! And chestnut purée is one if my all time favourite things. I bet they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty damn good even if I do say so myself!

      Delete
  2. I haven't had a cobbler for years, but it's something I grew up with too. You can never have too many chestnuts in the house I reckon, but I am excited by your use of them in scones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like playing around with savoury scones because they're quick to make and make a good alternative to bread

      Delete
  3. I am a big scone fan and never thought of making a chestnut combo...this will have to be done. Great post Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of an inspired moment of genius I think. I'd already decided I wanted to make scones with the puree but wasn't sure if they should be sweet or savoury.

      Delete
  4. This sounds so good but it's something I've never made myself. I love the idea of chesnut scones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious and your cobbler topping looks lovely. Thank you for entering this into simple and in season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!