Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Review: Beyond Dark Chocolate Drops

A little while ago now I received a sample of Beyond Dark Chocolate Drops which I've been meaning to write about for a few weeks. They are fairly new company and I first found out about them via Twitter, just goes to show the power that social media can have. The chocolate comes in little packets and I was sent some of the regular dark chocolate to try. They are launching orange and raspberry flavoured chocolate drops soon. 

The main thing that I liked about this is that because the chocolate is in small drops rather than in big chunks it seems to last longer. I found that a couple of drops were just as satisfying as if I had eaten a couple of squares of chocolate and it took me a few days to happily nibble my way through a 35g packet. Sometimes I have been known to munch my way through a 100g bar of dark chocolate in a day, but only on a bad day, we all have them sometimes where chocolate is the only solution. Generally speaking I do like to savour dark chocolate as I don't think it should be gobbled up quickly like any of the well known brands of chocolate bars.
 
I found the taste of the chocolate to be smoother than some other types of dark chocolate I have eaten in the past. Sometimes dark chocolate can be a little bitter but this was mellow and almost had fruity tones to it. The aim of the founder of Beyond Dark was to create a chocolate which had a high level of natural antioxidants. Most of us have probably read somewhere along the line that dark chocolate has health benefits but apparently the commercial extraction processes used can destroy these. There is more information about how the company produces their chocolate and the health benefits available on their website. The key claim they make is that one 35g packet has the same levels of antioxidants as 8 bananas or 5 apples. Obviously a packet of chocolate is not a substitute to eating healthily with plenty of fresh fruit and veg but if it helps to give you a little tasty boost along the way then that has to be a good thing.

Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the product to review, I was not paid to write this post and all views and opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I wonder what they do differently to other chocolate to retain the nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should have included this in the post. But what I can gather from reading their website is that they use a slower extraction process which is less damaging.

      Delete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)