Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Cinnamon Brandy Bites

I first blogged these little cakes over at Peach Trees and Bumblebees when they were looking for some guest posts last summer. I realised the other day though that I hadn't written about them here. I think these would be a dainty little treat to share on Valentine's Day, or in fact any other day where you might fancy a little indulgent nibble. The cakes are flavoured with cinnamon and the icing has a good dose of brandy. I baked these in little heart and star shaped silicone moulds, although you could use paper petit four cases instead. My piping wasn't particularly advanced when I decorated these but I think I just about get away with it!



Ingredients – makes approximately 16 depending on the size of your cases/moulds

For the cakes:

55g butter
55g caster sugar
1 large egg
55g self raising flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp milk


For the icing:

75g butter
150g icing sugar
1 tsp brandy

  • Preheat the oven to 180C. Make the cakes using the all in one method. Put all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and use a handheld electric mixer to whisk everything together until smooth.
  • Divide the mixture between your cases and put them on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until risen and golden and the sponge bounces back when you gently press it.
  • Cool on a wire rack and then remove from the silicone cases.
  • For the icing beat the butter until smooth then gradually beat in the icing sugar followed by the brandy. Transfer the icing to a piping bag and then pipe swirls of icing on top of each cake.
I'm entering these into Made With Love Mondays and into Calendar Cakes run by Laura and Rachel and this month hosted by Rachel at Dolly Bakes blog.

 

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Brandy icing... Oh yes please :) also where did you pick up silicone hearts? I'd love to get some. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good! I got my moulds with an issue of Baked & Delicious magazine (can't remember which one possibly issue 14) you should be able to buy back issues on their website. Otherwise ebay is good for baking supplies and Lakeland have a heart shaped mould as well.

      Delete
  2. I love the different shapes - is there a star among the hearts? And I imagine cinnamon paired with brandy frosting would be very tasty indeed! These are so cute and you definitely get away with rustic piping :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely little cakes...I love the hint of cinnamon and also the brandy in the icing! Thanks for entering these into Calendar Cakes :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!