Monday, 11 February 2013

Chocolate & Ginger Torte

This post marks the one year anniversary since I started my blog and this torte is to celebrate both one year of blogging and my birthday. When I started my blog I didn't realise how well it would take off. I'd been reading other blogs for a little while and had been sharing photos of my baking on my personal Facebook page with my friends and family. Then for some reason I decided that I wanted to start writing about my baking in more detail. I'm glad I did because it has given me the creative outlet that I've always felt like I needed. I'm a scientist by training but I still have a lot of creative ideas floating around. I always struggled to express my creativity through art, my brother got all the arty genes, but baking and especially decorating cakes can be considered as an art form. My cake decorating skills still need some work and this was one of my original aims when starting this blog. The trouble is I'm not always patient enough for the fiddly bits but I think I'm slowly getting better.  I also really enjoy writing. This is just as well considering the amount of writing I have to do over the next year to get my thesis finished! Writing for a blog gives me the chance to express myself in a way that is completely different to the voice that I use for my academic work.



I want to say a big thank you to everyone who reads my blog, whether you've been following since the early days or if you've just found me. Since I've been blogging and especially since I joined Twitter I've had the chance to 'meet' some lovely people who share my love of food and baking. Maybe one day I'll get to meet some of you in real life.

This chocolate and ginger torte is a recipe from the BBC Good Food magazine and you can see the full recipe here. I first made it for my birthday 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. I normally bake something decadent and chocolatey for myself and this year is no exception. Last year I went for something different with a maple and pecan cake which was fantastic but I did miss the chocolate! This torte is quite easy to make but there are a few separate steps to bringing it all together and I've taken photos throughout the process. This really is one for the chocaholics as there is nearly 500g of dark chocolate in this torte. A quick tip, it's very helpful if you have 3 good sized mixing bowls for making this torte.

Start by greasing and lining the base of a 23cm springform tin and dusting with little cocoa powder.
Melt 350g dark chocolate and 250g unsalted butter with 2 tbsp of ginger wine in bowl over simmering water.
 When the butter and chocolate is melted, stir until smooth and leave to cool slightly.
In a second large bowl beat 5 egg yolks with 140g caster sugar and 100g light muscovado sugar until pale.
 In the third bowl whisk the 5 egg whites with a pinch of salt until they just start to form stiff peaks.
Next stir the melted chocolate and butter into the egg yolks and sugar until smooth then sift in 75g ground almonds and 1tsp ground ginger and fold in. Stir in a third of the egg whites to loosen the mix and then gently fold in the rest.
Spoon half of the mix into the prepared tin and dot over 1 heaped tbsp of warmed ginger preserves. I think I probably used a little more than this as I do like a lot of ginger with my chocolate.
Pour over the rest of the mixture and level the top. Bake at 170C for 50-60 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out with a moist crumb on it.
Cool in the tin. This photo was taken a couple of minutes after it came out of the oven, a cracked top is fine and it will sink in the middle as it cools. 
Take care when removing the torte from the tin as it is quite delicate, as you can see I broke the edge off but this will be covered by the ganache topping.
Heat 150ml double cream, 140g dark chocolate, 25g unsalted butter and 2 tbsp ginger wine in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until smooth and then pour over the torte and spread with a palette knife.


This is my entry into Classic French where the theme is ganache and We Should Cocoa originally started by Choclette and Chele where the theme is ginger. I'm hosting both challenges this month and sneakily picked the themes because I knew I wanted to make this torte.






3 comments:

  1. Stunning looking torte. Happy blog birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your blog anniversary, Jen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!