Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Lemon Yoghurt Cupcakes

I first made these cakes during the summer but completely forgot to take any photos of them, which is a shame because this post has been sitting in my drafts folder since July. I've been wanting to share them but tonight was the first time that I actually got round to making them again, and as you can see I remembered to pick the camera up this time. I made Mary Berry's lemon yoghurt cake last year and enjoyed the taste and texture that the yoghurt gave to the cake, so that was the inspiration for this recipe. I also bought a packet of jelly lemon slices from Sugar and Crumbs along with a few other supplie this week so needed an excuse to use them. I remember that my Grandma always used to make fairy cakes decorated with the lemon and orange slices. I don't like oranges though so was quite happy to see that I could get a big packet of lemon sweets. The first time I made these I served them with a dollop of double cream and some strawberry flavoured sprinkles, tonight I went for a simple lemon icing instead.



Ingredients - makes 12

For the cakes:
250g caster sugar
50g butter
2 eggs
200g low fat natural yoghurt
grated zest of 1 lemon
250g self raising flour

For the icing:
250g icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon
lemon slice jelly sweets to decorate (optional)
  • Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12 hole tray with cupcake cases.
  • In a mixing bowl beat together the sugar, butter and eggs until light and creamy then beat in the yoghurt. Add the lemon zest then fold in the flour. Divide between the cupcake cases and bake for 25 minutes until risen, lightly golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
  • To make the icing pour the lemon juice into a large bowl and gradually add the icing sugar, stir the sugar in until you get a thick speadable icing. Decorate the cold cakes using a palette knife and top each cake with a jelly lemon sweet if you like
I'm entering these into Tea Time Treats run by Karen and Kate and this month hosted over at Lavender & Lovage and if you leave off the sweets then these count as being made from scratch so I'm adding them to Made With Love Mondays

Disclaimer: I bought the lemon sweets from Sugar & Crumbs with no obligation to write about them. I reviewed some of their products for free last year and was impressed with the quality and the speed of delivery so I have decided to buy more from them. All views and opinions are my own.


3 comments:

  1. LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY Jen! Thanks so much for this tangy entry! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemony sweets of almost any kind - pies, cakes, cupcakes, breads... These are so simple and I love the final decoration - I actually thought they were little bits of lemon until I read the ingredient list ;) So cute and so tasty - thanks so much for sharing, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you probably could candy small pieces of lemon in sugar, I did try that once but ended up burning them so I think I'll stick to the sweets!

      Delete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)