110g chopped mixed peel
500ml hot black tea made with one teabag
175g soft light brown sugar
160g lemon marmalade, plus 1 tbsp for glazing
250g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground ginger
- Soak the fruit in the tea for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- Beat together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir through the marmalade and then fold in the flour, baking powder and ginger, finally drain the fruit and mix into the cake batter. Pour into the prepared tin and level the top, bake for 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- When the cake is cold, heat up the remaining tablespoon of marmalade and spread over the top.
I'm entering this into Tea Time Treats run by Karen and Kate and this month hosted over at Lavender & Lovage, also into Credit Crunch Munch run by Helen & Camilla and this month hosted over at Fuss Free Flavours and also into Javelin Warrior's Made With Love Mondays.