Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Fruity Lemon Marmalade Tea Loaf

After seeing that the Tea Time Treats challenge this month is citrus fruits, I knew I had to find a way of using up some of the lemon marmalade that I made last year. In fact that marmalade was my very first blog post almost a year ago. I knew I still had some in the cupboard but I didn't realise that I still had 3 jars left. As I enjoyed this cake so much I will probably have to make another one soon. I took inspiration for this cake from the recipe for a marmalade loaf cake in The Great British Book Of Baking, the book that accompanied the first series of the Great British Bake Off. I left out the nuts and added some currants and mixed peel instead and also increased the amount of marmalade, ground ginger and flour in the cake. The dried fruit was left over from making the Christmas cake so I thought I might as well use some of it up. I still have some currants left for another day though. I soaked the fruit in tea and this helped to keep the cake wonderfully moist.


Ingredients

110g currants
110g chopped mixed peel
500ml hot black tea made with one teabag
175g butter
175g soft light brown sugar
3 eggs
160g lemon marmalade, plus 1 tbsp for glazing
250g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground ginger

  • Soak the fruit in the tea for 30 minutes 
  • Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
  • Beat together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir through the marmalade and then fold in the flour, baking powder and ginger, finally drain the fruit and mix into the cake batter. Pour into the prepared tin and level the top, bake for 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
  • Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
  • When the cake is cold, heat up the remaining tablespoon of marmalade and spread over the top.

I'm entering this into Tea Time Treats run by Karen and Kate and this month hosted over at Lavender & Lovage, also into Credit Crunch Munch run by Helen & Camilla and this month hosted over at Fuss Free Flavours and also into Javelin Warrior's Made With Love Mondays.




7 comments:

  1. The texture of your cake is beautiful and the flavours sound utterly delicious. Thank you for entering the first ever Credit Crunch Munch;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that looks lovely Jen, great texture. I've plans to use some lemon marmalade in something this week and was thinking ginger would be a good pairing. I haven't done any serious thinking as to what exactly yet, but can't imagine coming up with anything better than this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks looks yummy Jen - I love just about anything with ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds marvelous, Jen - I love the inclusion of black tea with currants. It looks so moist and I bet the flavor was wonderful... Thanks so much for sharing and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL tea loaf Jen and I adore that book! Thanks so much for entering into Tea Time Treats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definite bake sale material - I have a supply of home made marmalade I've been given by various people so I ought to use it up in something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking cake...I bet it tastes great too! I made a marmalade loaf a little while ago and I think it was one of the tastiest things I've made...you may have inspired me to make it again. I'm also very impressed that you made your own marmalade! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!