Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Coffee & Amaretto Soufflés With Chocolate Dipped Vanilla Coffee Biscuit Spoons

When I set this month's Classic French challenge for soufflés I was originally planning on making chocolate soufflés but then last week I was lucky enough to receive a box of goodies from Whittards to create a recipe with. I was sent some ground Guatemalan Antigua coffee, amaretto flavour coffee syrup and a jar of vanilla flavour instant coffee. After sampling the coffees and the syrup, I decided that I wanted to use them to create my challenge entry with so that I could have a go at making something a little bit different. I may have had a teaspoon or two of syrup straight from the bottle - oops! But it so delicious that I couldn't resist.



Not having made sweet soufflés before, I had a look at quite a few different recipes just to get an idea of the proportions. I had to do a bit of thinking and calculating though as I only have two ramekins and most recipes I came across tend to serve 4. In the end I wrote down the quantities that I hoped would work and after 9 nervous minutes spent watching the oven, I ended up with two well risen soufflés. I had to work quickly to takes the photos though as I could see the soufflés sinking whilst I was clicking away. By the time it came to eating them they had sunk quite a lot but as they tasted so good it didn't really matter.

For the biscuits I used the spoon mould that I bought from Lakeland with my Christmas vouchers. I thought it would be quite fun to eat the soufflés with biscuit spoons instead of a teaspoon. It takes a lot of self control to try and eat more than one spoonful at a time with a biscuit spoon as the temptation to bite the biscuit is strong!

There's two recipes in this post, the soufflé quantities can easily be doubled and the biscuits can be made in any shape you want. I used half of the dough to make some simpler square biscuits as well so that there would be some spares for the biscuit tin.

Chocolate Dipped Vanilla Coffee Biscuits - makes about 20


Ingredients

100g vanilla sugar (make your own by infusing a vanilla pod in a pot of caster sugar for a couple of weeks)
100g butter
200g self raising flour
1 tbsp vanilla flavour instant coffee
1 tbsp boiling water
50g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids

  • Preheat the oven to 180C, mix the coffee and water together in a small cup.
  • In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, mix in the coffee and then beat in the flour and work into a smooth dough.
  • Press small pieces of the dough into a silicone spoon mould or any other shaped mould you fancy using. Alternatively you could roll the dough out to 5mm thick and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. 
  • Bake for 15 minutes until the biscuits are just turning golden, if you rolled out the dough and cut out shapes then reduce the baking time to about 10 minutes.
  • Leave to cool on a wire rack then melt the chocolate in a bain marie and dip the ends of the biscuits in the chocolate and leave to set.


Coffe & Amaretto Soufflés - serves 2


Ingredients

60ml freshly brewed strong black coffee - I used the Whittards Guatemalan Antigua ground coffee
60ml milk
2 large eggs, separated
25g caster sugar
1 tbsp self raising flour
1 tbsp amaretto flavour syrup
butter and sugar for the ramekins

  • Preheat the oven to 220C and butter two 200ml ramekins and sprinkle with a little sugar.
  • Heat the milk in a saucepan to simmering point and add the hot coffee.
  • In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar and then gradually beat in the flour. Pour in the hot milky coffee and whisk together to form a custard then add the syrup. Return the mixture to the pan and continue to whisk until the custard thickens. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
  • In a large clean bowl whisk the egg whites until you get to the stiff peak stage. Use a metal spoon and beat one spoonful of egg whites into the custard to loosen it then gently fold in the remaining egg whites. 
  • Spoon into the ramekins and run your finger around the edge. Bake for 8-9 minutes until well risen and serve straight away with the biscuit spoons.
 

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet too much but I have to say that I think these two recipes are the best things that I have made so far this year. The biscuits are divine and I can't stop eating them and I really want to make the soufflés again as they were surprisingly easy to make and looked very impressive. I'm quite proud of the photo above as I managed to take it one handed with the camera whilst rushing slightly to get a good shot before the soufflé sank.

This is my entry into the Classic French January challenge.





Disclaimer: I was sent the products mentioned above by Whittards in order to create a recipe using them. All views and opinions are my own. 

5 comments:

  1. so fancy!... so ooh la la!... I adore those chocolate dipped spoons... it's like they're finished already and then you can dip again... coffee and amaretto is a genius combo too, lovely work my friend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom, I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself on this one. Have a feeling there may be souffle recipes from me in the future.

      Delete
  2. What great flavour combinations and I love the idea of eating the souffle with a chocolate covered spoon! Done mine at the weekend as you know and can't wait to blog it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, I really like the way how you bake and your inventive ideas x

    ReplyDelete
  4. De-licious, love Amaretto so can imagine this would taste fab and the spoons are so cool too:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!