Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Classic French December Round Up


Christmas time is nearly all over and a New Year has begun. There were lots of fantastic entries for the Bûche de Noël/Yule Log challenge and it was good to see some variations on the traditional chocolate log.

First up was this Palaeo Yule Log from Cucina Ceri who went for the healthier option by making a sugar free and gluten free log. She used honey instead and made a chestnut filling for the log.

Chocolate Yule Log  

The second entry came from Cake of the Week which is the complete opposite to the healthy log above as it was covered in a gorgeous looking French chocolate buttercream. 

 

Next up was my entry, I made a white chocolate log using the Larousse sponge recipe but whimped out on the French buttercream. I couldn't justify the number of eggs required so I made a white chocolate buttercream instead.  

 

This Nutella Yule Log from Claire at Under The Blue Gum Tree has me drooling as soon as I saw it. Drizzled with Frangelico and topped with a hazelnut praline it is the ultimate in festive indulgence!

Nutella Yule Log via http://underthebluegumtree.com

This next entry was baked by my Mum and it's the recipe that she always used to make years ago. She hasn't made one for a long time but I persuaded her to bake one when I went to visit.

 

Here is an entry from a fellow PhD student blogger Xi Ye at Bake To Your Heart's Content who covered his Bûche de Noël with a lovely dark chocolate ganache and was the first to make a branch for the log.

 

There are more branches here with Laura Loves Cakes' version of Mary Berry's Yule Log. Like me she'd never made one before but it looks like it turned out really well. 

 

The next entry is from Solange at Pebble Soup who decorated her Bûche de Noël with some cute little chocolate hearts. 

 
We have another Mary Berry Yule Log here from Kat at Baking Explorer and it looks divine!

 

A different celebrity bakers recipe was chosen here by Jude at A Trifle Rushed with her version of Nigella Lawson's Bûche de Noël. I love the cute little robbin on top.

 

Finally is another Nigella Lawson log from Sarah at Maison Cupcake who managed to find time to blog hers on Christmas Day, very impressive!

buche de noel

A big thank you to everyone who entered and a Happy New Year to you all. Hope to see some of you again in the upcoming Classic French challenges for 2013.
 

3 comments:

  1. These look great! My recipe for French buttercream uses egg yolks so I get a lot of leftover egg whites but I find that they freeze well and can then be used to make a Swiss buttercream or apparently you can make a cake with just egg whites! Thanks for the great round up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember seeing a buche with several bramches before. That' s interesting. Thank you for a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a huge number of Yule Logs and how I wish I'd found time to enter. They all look fantastic and interesting to see how different they are. Wishing you and your blog the very best for 2013. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)