Ingredients - serves 1 greedy student!
100g pasta shapes
145g mushrooms, sliced
25g salted butter
25g plain flour
4 bread sticks
50g grated cheddar cheese plus extra for sprinkling
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to packet instructions and preheat the grill to high heat.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a non stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the mushrooms with a generous grind of black pepper and fry until the mushrooms are coloured and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the mushrooms and stir until it is all absorbed and then add the milk a little at a time, stirring constantly and cook for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and stir through the grated cheese and season to taste.
- Put the breadsticks in a plastic food bag and bash with a rolling pin to create crumbs.
- By now the pasta should be just about cooked. Drain the cooked pasta and stir the sauce into the pasta. Transfer to an oven proof baking dish and sprinkle over the crumbs and a little extra cheese as well. Place under the hot grill until the crumbs are golden and crunchy and the cheese is bubbling, about 3-4 minutes.
I'm entering this into the brand new Pasta Please challenge hosted by Jac at Tinned Tomatoes, the newly revamped Credit Crunch Munch challenge run by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla at Fab Food 4 All and also into Mrs M's Recipe Link Party.