Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Cheesy Chorizo Flatbreads

After the success of my thyme, black garlic and tomato flatbreads last week, I decided that instead of baking a loaf of bread to have for lunchbox sandwiches this week, I wanted to make more flatbreads. I really enjoyed the first batch especially as they are so easy to make and quicker than making a normal loaf as the dough only needs to rise once. I think I'll be making more flatbreads in the future. Although I used the same quantity of flour as before, I decided to make bigger ones this time. I made pizzas the day before these flatbreads and wanted to do something interesting with the leftover mozzarella and chorizo. I used the chorizo that comes thinly sliced and is ready to eat, I've still got some left in the fridge and normally buy it to put in sandwiches as a change from ham. But I think I might have to make more flatbreads as these haven't lasted long!



Ingredients - makes 8 large flatbreads

200g strong wholemeal bread flour
300g strong white bread flour
7g sachet fast action yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
70g mozzarella cut into 1cm cubes
7 slices of ready to eat chorizo cut into small pieces
50g extra mature cheddar, grated
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
300ml lukewarm water

  • Add all the ingredients except the water and oil to a large bowl and mix well, then pour in half of the water and oil and start working together into a dough. Gradually pour in the rest of the water until you have a soft dough, you may need a splash more depending on your flour. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic and then place into a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size. 
  • Knock back the dough and divide into 8 equal sized pieces and shape into rough circles. Heat up a non stick pan over a medium-high heat and then cook the breads one or two at a time depending on the size of your pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the bread starts to puff up and is coloured on the bottom. Flip over and cook for a further minute or so until browned on the other side. Cool on a wire rack and serve warm whilst the cheese is still oozy and delicious!
I'm entering this into Fresh From The Oven run by Utterly Scrummy Food For Families and Purely Food where the theme is flatbreads this month, Herbs On Saturday, this month hosted by Bangers & Mash, Yeastspotting and into Bake Your Own Bread. And as these would work well for breakfast I'm entering them into Breakfast Club this month hosted by Janice at Farmers Girl Kitchen.



 

4 comments:

  1. Ooh these sound very tasty, just the sort of thing I'd like with a nice bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chorizo and for that reason alone I'm trying this recipe! Thanks! x
    http://kickatthepantrydoor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine how delicious these would be. Thank you for joining Breakfast Club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look wonderful! I bet they'd be really good baked in the barbecue (Ha! if all the snow that just fell ever melts, maybe we can try it out here.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)