Saturday, 26 January 2013

Apple Crumble & A Failed Attempt To Make Custard

Apple crumble is my boyfriend's favourite pudding and I make it on a fairly regular basis but realised I hadn't written about it on here yet. I'm sure most people have their own way of making a crumble but I feel like sharing my version. I also decided that as I was going to blog about this pudding I should have a go at making real custard to go with it. Normally I just use custard powder as it's quicker and easier, however a couple of weeks ago I had an epic failure when it came to making the custard. I'd had to switch to a different brand of powder as I couldn't find the one I normally use, but really this shouldn't have made a difference. I was tired whilst making the custard and wasn't really paying attention to how much custard powder I added and I used too much and the result was a bright yellow gloop. As there wasn't enough milk to make more, we tried to eat it but it wasn't pleasant. Luckily the hideous custard didn't ruin a homemade dessert, we had some shop bought mince pies that night. After the success I had making my coffee souffles earlier in the week I think I was feeling a bit over confident. I've made real custard a couple of times in the past and it's been OK but last nights was rubbish. It tasted good but the eggs ended up scrambling slightly and the texture was a bit grainy. I think I know where I went wrong though and it was having the heat on the hob too high whilst cooking the custard. I have an electric hob which I hate as the temperature response is crappy, sadly we're stuck with it as we're renting but next time we have to move I'll make sure we get a gas hob. I'm not going to give the recipe for the custard because it didn't work but I'm happy with my crumble recipe. I don't peel my apples even though I know you're probably supposed to, I like the extra texture.



Ingredients - serves 2 generously

2 medium Bramley apples
ground cinnamon
65g butter
100g plain flour
30g porridge oats
25g caster sugar
  • Preheat the oven to 200C. Cut the apples into thin slices and place into a small baking dish and cover with a generous sprinkling of ground cinnamon.
  • Put the remaining ingredients into a food processor and blitz to a crumble texture. Cover the apples with the crumble topping and bake for 35-40 minutes until the apples are tender and the topping is golden.
  • Serve straight away with custard (homemade if you're feeling brave!), cream or ice cream. 

 
I'm entering this into Made With Love Mondays and Simple and in Season.



8 comments:

  1. My husband would probably go on strike if I left the peel on my apples, but hey if you get away with it do so I say. Your crumble looks lovely, I'm just slightly worried about the small amount of sugar for all that sour Bramley appleness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started making it when we moved in together I was too lazy to peel the apples and I seem to keep on getting away with it! Last night's apples weren't that sharp and by the time sweet custard is on top it seems to counteract any sourness.

      Delete
  2. Omg I had exactly the same issue with homemade custard, although mine was a rhubarb crumble. I've been umming and arring about posting my crumble recipe, but hey it doesn't always go perfect does it! You've also inspired me to start getting involved in blog forums so big thanks :-)
    kickatthepantrydoor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love rhubarb crumble. Glad I could be an inspiration :)

      Delete
  3. I love your whole slices of apple and you, like me, don't pre-cook the apple... i would love this!... re your custard... I also have an electric oven and the way I do it is to keep the heat on medium and once the milk is up to heat take it off the direct heat, then add the eggs and stir constantly only placing the pan back on the heat every few minutes to warm it slightly... patience my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Dom. Think I was a bit impatient last night, need to practice more!

      Delete
  4. I love how easy this crumble is, Jen! And frankly, that's how I think crumbles are probably supposed to be - easy to make so you can throw it together in a rush and still have a marvelous dessert... I also have an electric range (never had a gas) and I think they are tricky to use because the heat is not even and either it's too hot or too cool most of the time... Thanks so much for sharing this crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crumble is the perfect comfort food and this version looks delicious - I love the whole slices of apple and generous cinnamon flavour!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)