Monday, 24 December 2012

Nigella's Cranberry Cake

If you've been reading my blog for a while then you may have noticed that I am rather partial to cranberries, in fact I can't get enough of them. I've baked my way through a couple of packets already and I've stashed over 1kg of fresh cranberries in the freezer to use throughout the year. On every shopping trip during December I've added one or two packets to the basket as this is the only time they seem to be available in the UK. I'm thinking about making some jam with them soon as I have rather a lot. For now though here is my attempt at making Nigella Lawson's cranberry cake. The recipe comes from her 'How To Be A Domestic Goddess' book and this is the second time I've made it, but the first time it's been on the blog.

This cake is similar to an upside down cake except that it's supposed to be baked in a 20cm tarte tatin dish or an oven proof frying pan. As I still haven't managed to add either of these to my bakeware collection, I had to make do with melting the 150g caster sugar and 50g unsalted butter in a non stick frying pan and then tossing through 175g fresh cranberries. I then transferred this to a 7 inch square silicone tin before covering with the cake batter. The cake is a nice easy 2 egg sponge mix made with 125g each caster sugar, butter and flour with a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a splash of milk. It's then baked at 180C for 30 minutes and then after cooling for a few minutes in the tin, turn out onto a plate. I don't think I fully melted the sugar for the cranberry topping as it was a bit crystallised, or maybe it's because using a silicone cake tin meant that the base wasn't hot enough. But actually in the end I didn't mind because it gave the cake an extra texture.


I'm entering this into Simple and in Season this month hosted by Lavender & Lovage and also into Forever Nigella, this month hosted by Laura Loves Cakes






5 comments:

  1. Your cake looks beautiful, i've also stashed up on Cranberries as I only ever see them in the market this time of the year. Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for entering your cake into Forever Nigella...it looks fab...and a great way to use up cranberries. I like that it's similar to an upside down cake too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bag of cranberries in the freezer all year which finally made it into Christmas dinner cranberry sauce - but I ought to have made one of these. Thanks for taking part in Forever Nigella - new challenge now up at recipejunkie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made this yet, but I plan to--I've got the cranberries and everything. But I don't have the self-raising flour; could you speculate how much baking powder I'd need to use with plain flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't tend to bake with plain flour and baking powder that often but I think 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder should be about right.

      Delete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)