Friday, 14 December 2012

Cranberry Mince Pie Mini Muffins

I came across this recipe for Mince Pie Muffins on the Dolly Bakes blog recently and knew that I had to make them as they sounded absolutely delicious. After reading through the recipe and having bought a lot of fresh cranberries recently I decided to add some cranberries to the recipe just to give it a little twist. I haven't tried cranberries with mincemeat before but I thought that it would probably work quite well. To take into account the tartness of the cranberries I added an extra 50g of sugar to the original recipe and also used buttermilk instead of ordinary milk. When I came to make these I realised that I had run out of muffin cases but instead I had some Christmassy fairy cake cases in the cupboard so used those instead to make these mini muffins.


Ingredients - makes 24 mini muffins (recipe adapted from Dolly Bakes)

280g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
140g caster sugar
150g fresh cranberries
250ml buttermilk
350g mincemeat
90ml sunflower oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger

  • Preheat the oven to 200C and line 2 x 12 hole bun trays with 24 fairy cake cases. 
  • Measure the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, sugar, spices and cranberries into a mixing bowl and stir together. 
  • In a second bowl mix together the milk, mincemeat and oil. 
  • Pour the liquid mix into the dry mix and stir together until just combined, a few flecks of flour in the mix is fine, it's important not to overwork muffins. 
  • Divide between the paper cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden then cool on a wire rack.

I made a batch of these for my freezer before coming to France this week so we've got something different to nibble on this year. I'm also planning on taking some with me when I go to visit my Grandparents just after Christmas. I told my Mum about this recipe and she roped me into baking some more this week in France and my Dad has decided that he prefers these cranberry mince pie muffins to actual mince pies. I brought over a few packets of fresh cranberries for Mum to put in the freezer as they're not as easy to find in France and they are everywhere at home at the moment. I have more cranberry recipes coming soon and I plan on filling my freezer with them before the shops stop selling them.


I'm entering these into Simple and in Season this month hosted by Lavender & Lovage and also into Calendar Cakes where the theme is Christmas, hosted by Laura and Rachel.



4 comments:

  1. great idea... and a novel way to use mince meat... very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love mince pies but can get a bit fed uptight them. These would be a great alternative, and look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your mince pies look lovely. I'm not a big fan of mince pies but I definitely would try making them with cranberries x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...these look great and I love that they've got fresh cranberries in them! Thanks for entering them into Calendar Cakes...they look like the perfect festive treat! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!