Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Poppy Seed Biscotti

I realised recently that I hadn't baked anything from my baking to do list for a long time. My magazine collection keeps growing but they're not being used, after I've had a flick through the recipes I file the magazines away and forget what I wanted to bake from them. That's partly why I started making a list, however the list only goes up to issue 37 and I received issue 45 a few days ago. Before I extend the list with things I want to try from the newer issues, I think it's time to try and work my way through some of the things that are already on the list. I asked my boyfriend to pick a random number and he chose number 32 which was these poppy seed biscotti.

As the recipe for these makes 40 small biscuits I took half of them into the office where they were gratefully received by my fellow PhD students. These biscuits are supposed to be sandwiched together with a lime and mascarpone filling but I just wanted some simple biscuits for a change so left it out. I was a bit disappointed with the recipe as I had to add a lot of extra flour in order to get a dough that could be rolled out because it was incredibly soft and I think the quantities may have been wrong. In the end I got the dough firm enough to roll into small balls but didn't get as far as rolling out properly and cutting out shapes. I think I may have slightly underbaked these as they were bit soft but they had a good lemony flavour and texture from the poppy seeds.


6 comments:

  1. Yum, poppy-seed biscotti is a combination that I've never heard off, but it looks delicious. I'm sure your uni friends, enjoyed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were happy to accept second helpings so I think that counts as a success!

      Delete
  2. how lovely are these... so simple and just delicious... love a yeald of 40!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy biscuits!! I have never baked with poppy seeds and I love them. These biscuits look interesting: good looking and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very similar list but it only seems to get longer rather than shorter!!! This sounds like a delicious biscuit...I'd love to try one of these! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I've stopped myself adding to the list otherwise it would be ridiculously long!

      Delete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)