Saturday, 17 November 2012

Cherry & Almond Flapjacks

These flapjacks don't need much in the way of an introduction. I love the combination of cherry and almond and after baking the Christmas cake a couple of weeks ago I had some leftover ingredients to use up. I still have to decide what to do with the currants and mixed peel yet. Well I did have enough cherries leftover to start with but then I had to buy more to make these because I have a bad habit of eating glacé cherries straight from the pot. I can't help it, they're too tasty! I've found that the natural coloured cherries taste a lot nicer as well.



Ingredients: makes 12 - 16 depending on size

200g butter
200g soft light brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
350g porridge oats
100g glacé cherries, quatered
100g ground almonds

Preheat the oven to 180C.  In a large saucepan melt the butter, sugar and honey together over a low heat, stir through the oats, cherries and almonds until evenly mixed. Transfer into a 22cm square silicone cake tin (grease and line with baking parchment if using metal tin) and bake for 35 minutes until the flapjack are golden brown. Cool in the tin on a wire rack for 5 minutes before dividing into portions. Leave the flapjacks in the tin until they are cold before serving.






9 comments:

  1. hello flapjacks!... love cherries... love almonds... love love these flapjacks... amazing how something so simple is so darn tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they could well be my favourite flapjack flavour combo so far, I certainly struggled to restrain myself from eating too many at once!

      Delete
  2. These are wonderful! I like the combination with cherries and almonds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seems to be a bit of a flapjack renaissance at the moment...and yours look fab. I love the addition of the cherry and almond...a good way to use up the Christmas cake leftovers too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always baked flapjacks as I am slightly addicted to them. They may not be the healthiest but they do fill you up which surely must be a good thing!

      Delete
  4. I found your Blog from Pinterest :) I'm baking these now and will write about them tomorrow on my own blog :) Great to follow BTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here is the result!

      http://secretmumma.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/almond-and-cherry-flapjacks-and-oh-gods.html

      I totally tweaked for our diet ( I'm non Dairy and Wholefood) I credited yours as the orignal recipe and added link to you xxx Hope that's OK xxx

      Delete
    2. Looks fabulous, thanks for sharing your healthier version, I may have to give this a go one day :)

      Delete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!