Saturday, 27 October 2012

Red Onion Tarte Tatin & Book Review: Rosemary Shrager's Absolutely Foolproof Food For Family & Friends


After making the apple tarte tatin with my Mum in France a few weeks ago I wanted to have a go in my own kitchen. But instead of making the same thing twice I decided to have a go at a savoury tart. I received a review copy of Absolutely Foolproof Food For Family and Friends for recently and there is a recipe for a red onion tarte tatin. I don't have a tarte tatin tin but Rosemary recommended using a round ovenproof dish instead. The only thing I have that is the right size is a 23cm silicone cake tin, fortunately it worked although it meant having to caramelize the onions in a frying pan first before transferring into the cake tin. More about the tart later.



There's a wide selection of recipes ranging from dishes that serve 2 all the way up to dishes suitable for feeding a crowd of 10. Most of the recipes in this book look like they do take a fair bit of time to prepare but not all of them. There are recipes for entertaining as well as for more relaxed family meals. Rosemary has written some great step by step guides accompanied by photos for how to chop vegetables in different ways e.g. julienne and brunoise. There are also guides for some more of the complex dishes as well such as the homemade pasta and gnocchi and also a guide for jointing a chicken. There is even a recipe for curing your own ham, not something I'll be doing any time soon as I don't have the space for a whole leg of ham, but if you'll be feeding a lot of people over Christmas then it would be a good recipe to have. As well as the given recipes, Rosemary also offers suggestions for different ways of serving the dish to suit different groups of people and different occaisons. Her gnocchi recipe is one that I've bookmarked as I've only ever made it once before and it was a bit disappointing and I find the shop bought stuff too salty. I especially like the look of the gnocchi with gorgonzola and walnuts.

The red onion tarte tatin is the only thing I've made so far and I'm definitely going to make it again as it was fantastic. The red onions were first cut in half through the root and then caramelised in butter and olive oil before being simmered in a large glass of red wine with some added caster sugar, splash of  red wine vinegar, fresh thyme, crushed garlic and seasoning. The tender onions were then removed from the pan and placed in the cake tin to cool whilst the red wine sauce was reduced until it was quite thick. The sauce was then poured over the onions and then they were covered with ready made puff pastry and baked at 190C for around 25 minutes until the pastry was puffed up and golden.



Disclaimer: I was sent a free copy of the book to review and was under no obligation to provide a positive review. All views and opinions expressed are my own. 

I'm entering this into Classic French as it's another tarte tatin and also into Simple and in Season, this month hosted by Franglais Kitchen, as onions are in season now. Also entered into Herbs on Saturday hosted by Karen at Lavender & Lovage as there is thyme in the tart.



3 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. I also do not have a tart tartin tin, but do have a oven proof frying pan. I would have never thought of using a cake tin - Rosemary is wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful Jen and I also have the book to review too.....so it was interesting to see what you made of it! This would also be a perfect entry for Herbs on Saturday too....and I will send you all the info for you to set it up next week, early! LOVELY photos, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks gorgeous. I would normally use an oven proof frying pan as Helen does.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)