Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Hallowe'en Pumpkin Cake

Last night I went to my 3rd Clandestine Cake Club even in Reading and the theme was hocus pocus Hallowe'en. There were some fantastic cakes there and we all had a good gossip along with lots of delicious cake. There were a couple of toffee apple cakes, a few chocolate cakes, a fantastic raspberry cheesecake decorated with mini pumpkins. My entry was a pumpkin cake, a pumpkin sponge baked into the shape of a pumpkin. I was quite proud of it and it went down well with my fellow Clandestine Cake lovers. I adapted the recipe from the one in the Hallowe'en special of Baked and Delicious magazine.


Here's a few pictures of the rest of the cakes from last night's get together.




As I didn't have a pumpkin shaped cake tin I made the cake in a large bundt type mould which I bought last year with the Baked and Delicious magazine summer special. This mould has a rosebud design on it so after baking the cake and cooling it, I carefully carved off some of the detail in order to make a rounder shape to the cake. The offcuts of cake were the bakers secret nibbles! This also gave me a chance to check the taste of the cake without having to cut into it. As I had guestimated the capacity of the mould when scaling up the cake recipe there was some mixture left over, just enough to make 3 cupcakes with. My boyfriend and I had these spread with a little apricot jam and topped with a circle of icing as a form of quality control. I made the cake the night before the event and then decorated it the next day.

The cake before carving.
 And after. It looks a bit messy at this stage but after being covered with icing it looked a lot neater.

I covered the cake in apricot jam before covering with orange ready to roll icing. I couldn't find any ready made orange icing so I used 2 parts yellow icing to one part red and kneaded it all together before rolling out. I then cut out shaped from black icing to make the face of the pumpkin and made a stalk to go on top from green icing.

I didn't get the black icing particularly even but then again this is supposed to represent a carved jack o'lantern pumpkin so I think I can get away with it. Incidentally I've never actually carved a pumpkin, I've never really celebrated Hallowe'en as I was never allowed to go trick or treating as a child.


Ingredients - makes 1 large cake plus 3 or 4 cupcakes

525g diced pumpkin flesh - about half of a medium sized pumpkin
375g butter
325g caster sugar
50g soft light brown sugar - you could use all caster sugar, I had to add in the brown sugar as I ran out of caster sugar
5 eggs
525g self raising flour
3 tsp mixed spice
apricot jam
125g red and 250g yellow ready to roll icing kneaded together to make orange (or 375g orange icing if you can find it)
small amounts of black and green ready to roll icing.
  • Steam the pumpkin for 15 minutes or until tender, mash until smooth and leave to cool.
  • Preheat the oven to 160C and prepare your cake tin by greasing it with a little butter and dusting with flour, this helps to prevent the cake from sticking. 
  • Cream together the butter and sugar and then beat in the eggs one at a time. 
  • Stir in the cooled pumpkin and then fold in the flour and mixed spice. 
  • Pour into the prepared tin and place the tin on a baking tray and bake for 90 minutes (check after 80 minutes) or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. If baking cupcakes as well these can go in with the big cake if you have space in your oven and they will take 20-25 minutes to bake. 
  • Cool the cake on a wire rack until completely cold
  • Carve the cake into shape using a bread knife if necessary, if you have a proper bundt tin then you won't need to do this as it already close enough to the right shape for a pumpkin. I don't have a bundt tin yet, it's on my wishlist. 
  • Spread the cake with apricot jam
  • Roll out the orange icing, grease the worktop and rolling pin with a little sunflower oil to prevent it sticking, and then carefully lay it over the cake. Smooth over any bumps and ensure the cake is completely covered. Score lines down the sides to replicate the lines of a pumpkin.
  • Roll out the black icing and cut out shapes to make a spooky pumpkin face and stick these to the front of the cake by brushing a little water on the back of the shapes. 
  • Roll the green icing into a short fat cylinder to make a stalk for the top of the pumpkin.
As I've used pumpkin I'm entering this cake into the One Ingredient Challenge, hosted by Nazima at Franglais Kitchen and Laura at How to Cook Good Food and also into Ren's Simple and in Season hosted by Franglais Kitchen this month. I'm also entering this into Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel at Dolly Bakes and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes as the theme is Hallowe'en.

21 comments:

  1. Looks great Jen. Very artistic and clever use of a bundt tin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think I surprised myself with how well it turned out!

      Delete
  2. that is superb, looks amazing and so authentic. also like the look of the black one with the eye balls on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we had a great selection of cakes that night. If you're not already a member of your local Clandestine Cake Club then I recommend signing up to meet some lovely people and eat lots of cake!

      Delete
  3. Great entry! I am so enjoying all things pumpkin at the moment. Your idea of using a Bundt tin is brilliant. I also need to make some orange icing but have not found any in the shops so will be following your tip and mixing my red & yellow together!
    Thanks for entering One Ingredient x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope your orange icing turned out alright for you.

      Delete
  4. Your cake fits so well with the Halloween theme! I've joined the Clandestine Cake Club in Bristol since summer but never made it to their meetings because I was always somewhere else in the last few months. That said I'm aiming to attend the next one in November if I were in town!

    On another note I've never tried a pumpkin cake before but it sure sounds moist and delicious!

    Ad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first pumpkin cake and it was very moist and perhaps one of the best cakes I've made recently.

      I hope you find time to attend a Clandestine Cake Club event soon, they really are good fun and you'll meet some lovely people as well as eating a lot of cake!

      Delete
  5. Oh well done, it looks really good and very Jack o Lantern ish. The cake sounds really tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, you must be very proud of your Pumpkin Cake. I carve a pumpkin every year with just a small vegetable knife so very basic but some people do intricate works of art with theirs so must get the right tools one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am proud as I know my decorating skills are not the best. I tend to focus more on getting the cake to taste good rather than fancy decorations. Not an artistic bone in my body!

      Delete
  7. what a brilliant idea to use for the bundt tin... very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your pumpkin cake Jen! Love seeing how you baked it and decorated it too......spook-tacular! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it went down very well and will probably make a similar one next year :)

      Delete
  9. A perfect hocus pocus cake...I love your pumpkin decoration and also the fact that the cake actually has pumpkin in it!! Thanks for entering Calendar Cakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) My original plan was to make a pumpkin shaped cake then I came across the recipe for pumpkin sponge and I'm so glad I did.

      Delete
  10. love it! & that cake looks so moist..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! Some fab looking cakes there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a lovely idea Jen, I love this. Such a great look! And I do love pumpkin cake. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!