Helen from Fuss Free Flavours has kindly invited me to guest host the Frugal Food Fridays challenge this month. This is my first time hosting a challenge and I'm looking forward to seeing all the lovely things that people make this month.
This challenge is quite relevant to me at the moment because we are trying to save money on food (and other things) when we can because our recent move took quite a big chunk of money from us. Renting is actually quite expensive when deposits are slow to be returned. So for the past few weeks I've been trying to be as economical as possible without losing out on flavour and enjoyment. You can see my entry for last month's challenge here on Caroline's lovely blog along with all the other delicious entries.
Here are some ideas for the sort of things that you can make to take part in this challenge. You can cook, bake or prepare any dish you want as long as it fits in with the frugal theme of this challenge.
Entries can be
- Dishes using cheaper ingredients – cheap cuts of meat or vegetarian
- Meals using leftovers
- Meals using up the ends of packets
- Substitutions of cheaper ingredients
- Packed lunches
- Meals that use less energy to cook
- Pressure cooking
- Slow cooking
- Faster cooking – less oven time for example
- Batch cooking for the freezer
- Sustainable foods
- Food you have grown yourself
- Meals from reduced food in the supermarket
Helen is looking for other guest hosts so if you would like to volunteer you can email her here:
helen at fussfreeflavours dot com
This challenge should also appear on The Food Blog Diary.