Thursday, 6 December 2012

Cranberry & Cinnamon Muffins

I made these in May to use up some leftover cranberries that were hidden in the freezer but I've decided to re post this recipe as I realised these muffins would be perfect for a Christmas morning breakfast.

In December last year I went a bit mad and bought loads of fresh cranberries because this is the only time of year you can buy them in the UK. I used quite a lot over Christmas making cranberry sauce and Nigella's cranberry upside down cake from the Domestic Goddess book, by the way that cake is delicious and I highly recommend it.  I was going through the freezer the other day to check for things that need eating because we are moving house soon  and I found 2 packets of cranberries that I had stashed away in the freezer. So I did the sensible thing with one of the packets and made muffins, not sure how the rest will get used up, probably as another batch of muffins. These muffins work well for breakfast or for a snack or even dessert. As it's the wrong time of year for cranberries in the UK unless you happen to find some frozen ones, you could always use fresh blueberries instead and reduce the sugar by 25g. I adapted this recipe from a Good Food magazine recipe for blueberry muffins by using sunflower oil instead of butter, yoghurt instead of buttermilk and increasing the sugar content
as cranberries need a little extra sweetness.

 Ingredients - makes 12 muffins

275g plain flour
50g porridge oats
1tbsp baking powder
150g caster sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
300ml plain yoghurt
85ml sunflower oil

250g fresh or frozen cranberries

Preheat the oven to 190C and put 12 muffin cases in a muffin/bun tray. Mix the flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Beat the eggs in another bowl and add the yoghurt and oil, mix everything together then add this to the flour mixture. Stir everything together until just about combined, don't over mix, and then stir through the cranberries. Divide the muffin mix between 12 muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden. If like me you forget to defrost the cranberries before using them the muffins will take about 30 minutes to bake.



I'm entering these into Simple and in Season this month hosted by Lavender & Lovage and also into Calendar Cakes where the theme is Christmas, hosted by Laura and Rachel. I'm also entering these into Made With Love Mondays.





8 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to bake with more cranberries lately so this recipe is absolutely perfect for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to use fresh cranberries more often but I can only get hold of them in the weeks running up to Christmas so I always stock up with as many as I can afford and will fit in my freezer!

      Delete
  2. Those cranberries look so bright and cheerful - lovely. I think I've got a few in my freezer now you come to mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I've never tried cranberries in a muffin :) I think now's probably the time to start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound wonderful, Jen - I love the use of cranberries and I'm always watching for new ways to use them. I remember my mom used to make muffins something like this and the cranberries really do add a wonderful punch to the muffins. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely combination...love cinnamon...love cranberries! It might be nice to have a few of these on hand in case anyone pops round and they don't like mince pies! Thanks for entering this month's Calendar Cakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect seasonal recipe and I have a Christmas morning muffin recipe I make every year which is similar! Lovely Jen and thanks for linking up! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. These muffins look delicious. Ideal for the holiday season. The colour of the cranberries really stand out in the muffins.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!