Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Pesto Bread

A slight twist on a fairly standard loaf recipe here by including a swirl of pesto in the middle to make it a bit more interesting. I use half white, half wholemeal flour as it gives a good texture and a bit of extra flavour. You could of course use all white or even all wholemeal flour, however a 100% wholemeal loaf is more difficult to knead and would need a bit more water as the flour seems to absorb more.




Ingredients - this makes a 1lb loaf

250g strong white bread flour
250g strong wholemeal bread flour
15g dried active yeast or 7g sachet fast action yeast
2tsp salt
300-350ml lukewarm water (start with 300ml but may need to add slightly more depending on your flour)
half a jar of pesto (I used green pesto)

  1. If using dried active yeast then follow pack instructions for reactivation (also given here )
  2. Measure out the flour, salt and yeast if using fast action into a large mixing bowl then add the water and form into a dough. Knead for 5-10 minutes until you have a smooth elastic dough and leave to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size in a large lightly oiled bowl covered with clingfilm. 
  3. Knock back the dough and knead lightly for a minute or 2. Roll it out into a rectangle approx 23cm x 40 cm and then spread evenly with the pesto. Roll up the dough like a swiss roll and then put it into a 1lb loaf tin with the seam side on the bottom. Cover with lightly oiled clingfilm and leave to prove for about an hour or until doubled in size.
  4. Preheat the oven to 220C and then bake the bread for 35-40 minutes until it sounds hollow when you tap the base. Remove from tin and leave to cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before eating, it is delicious served warm with a bowl of soup.

4 comments:

  1. I love baking bread. There is nothing more satisfying than a home baked loaf and your Pesto Bread looks delicious. Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I try and make at least 1 loaf or a batch of rolls every week, it's so much nicer and cheaper than supermarket bread :)

      Delete
  2. When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each
    time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot! Check out my website to get more info about
    bodybuilding, if you like.
    My site - Recommended Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you have posted anonymously I don't know if there is a way that I can do this

      Delete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)